[xquery-talk] XQuery and databases - XQuery 2.0

John Snelson john.snelson at oracle.com
Tue Jun 9 16:49:21 PDT 2009

derstubbi at gmx.de wrote:
> To pick up point 3)
>
> I just read that the XQuery 1.1. specification exists (ok, it is "just" a working draft), but is not (really) used today.
> And I also read that there are "insufficient resources to continue development of the Static Typing feature".
> What does that mean ?

There's a specification called "XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Formal
Semantics" [1], which details the semantics of XQuery 1.0 with a more
rigorous mathematical notation - this document may possibly be
discontinued as the XQuery Working Group publishes the XQuery 1.1 range
of specifications.

> Is there no more development for XQuery at all ?

Not at all - there's lots going on for XQuery 1.1.

> What are/were the ideas for future XQuery ?

You can read the XQuery 1.1 requirements document [2] to find out what
the working group has been adding to XQuery. Some highlights (for me)
include:

1) Higher order functions
2) Grouping and windowing
3) Try/catch