[xquery-talk] XQuery and databases - XQuery 2.0

Brian Maso brian at blumenfeld-maso.com
Mon Jun 15 15:10:44 PDT 2009

I had heard that future versions of the SQL standard are to bring XML in to
SQL -- basically make non-validated XML nodes as valid column types and add
intra-XML indexing. This was quite a while ago that I heard it, but it was
delivered by a reputable source. Seems like these two language have huge
overlap and can eventually be replaced by a single query language.

(Besides, SQL is so incomprehensible for even modestly-sized queries, it
would be great to replace it with something a bit more understandable such
as XQuery; not to mention the legions of vendor specifics and
incompatibilities...)

Best regards,
Brian Maso