[xquery-talk] [ANN] XQuery as a scripting language in IE

Florent Georges lists at fgeorges.org
Fri Mar 27 13:27:29 PST 2009

Michael Kay wrote:

>> I will add to my XML script engine "tXs" [...] my own XML
>> notation for XQuery.

> Perhaps this should be a project for EXQuery.

  Yes, I think so.

> I think there are three possible styles of XML representation:

> (a) one that looks as much as possible like current
> human-readable XQuery.

  Yes, I think this one could be more than useful, in particular
for pipeline languages.  What a pity that such a definition does
not exist yet, so it could have been used by XProc.  Too late
now...

> One of the challenges is in defining how the in-scope
> namespaces from the containing XML document should affect the
> static context of the query.

  Funny, I wouldn't have thought of that one.  To integrate
smoothly with an XML document, I would say the static context
should inherit the in-scope namespace bindings from the element
the query is embedded into (with "declare namespace" having
higher precedence.)  Of course, experience accumulated by
languages like XPL in Orbeon is of great help here.

  For the challenges part, I would think more about rewriting
XQuery grammar production rules.

  Regards,

--
Florent Georges