[xquery-talk] Question on expected XQuery return per standards

Christian Grün christian.gruen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 07:38:54 PST 2009

>> But it isn't. The standard is very clear that $xml//p expands to
>> $xml/descendant-or-self::node()/p. The ordering is also very clear:

Just to add: I observed that this rule regularly causes irritations
when teaching XPath/XQuery, as many users assume that the two slashes
can be dissolved to a single descendant step, which actually works
fine - as long as no position predicates are involved.

Christian

Christian Gruen
Universitaet Konstanz
Department of Computer & Information Science
D-78457 Konstanz, Germany
Tel: +49 (0)7531/88-4449, Fax: +49 (0)7531/88-3577
http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/~gruen