[xquery-talk] Order of results

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 11:02:45 PST 2010

On 05/11/2010 10:14, Michael Kay wrote:
> I think the "," was in a subexpression to the FLWOR, wasn't it?
>
> for $i in 1 to 2 return ('a','b')
>
> can return any permutation of ('a','b','a','b'), I believe.

oh can it? I read it as meaning the tuple-things can be returned in any
order so you here you can process the two tuples in either order, but
each returns ('a','b') (in that order) so putting that together you get

you read it as saying that an unordered flwor can re-order the entire
returned sequence arbitrarily. Hmm perhaps the spec should make that
clearer (one way or the other).

David