[xquery-talk] QName in content

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Wed Nov 24 13:38:40 PST 2010

Funny you should ask, I stumbled on this literally a few days ago while
implementing the QName function for xmlsh

http://www.xmlsh.org/FunctionQName

The results were not obvious but they did make sense.   I didn't dig into
the specs, but what Saxon does (and now xmlsh which uses saxon) makes sense.
When converting a QName to a string, the same thing takes place as if you
were to create an attribute or element.

If there's a prefix its used and if not no prefix is used. The URI is
unused.

So your result produces

<a>local</a>

Eg. in xmlsh (which calls saxon's xquery)

$ echo <[ <a>{ QName("uri","local") }</a> ]>

<a>local</a>

I think this makes perfect sence *in hindsight*

David A. Lee

 <mailto:dlee at calldei.com> dlee at calldei.com

 <http://www.xmlsh.org> http://www.xmlsh.org