Fwd: Re : [xquery-talk] about a query which have a contains function

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Oct 27 11:15:48 PDT 2010

You are using contains() to test whether a sequence S contains a value
V. If you read the spec, you'll see that that isn't what contains() does
- it tests whether a single string has a particular substring within it.
If you want to test whether the collection of books contains one whose
title is "Java Web Services", you can simply use the "=" operator thus:
{$x/books/title = $y} (no need for the /text()). But there's something
else wrong with your query - it returns the whole document if there is a
match, and nothing if there isn't. If you want to return the <book>
element having the relevant title, you can write the query as

doc('books.xml')/books/book[title='Java Web Services']

or if you're in love with FLWOR expressions,

for $x in doc('books.xml')/books/book
where $x/title = 'Java Web Services'
return $x

Michael Kay