[xquery-talk] Need to generate an empty instance from an XML Schema

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:38:35 PDT 2011

Ah my mistake, I did know that Oxygen did this, and I presumptuously
assumed that it was using Trang internally , obviously I got some
wires crossed in my brain - as you are correct, it appears that trang
does not offer this functionality.

If oXygen is not available I do have some Java code which I could
maybe dig up, which creates a simple in-memory tree of an XML Schema
and allows you to plugin any sort of serializer that you want, there
are a couple already that I wrote for shredding Schemas into simple
models for relational databases with that code, but it would be
trivial to have it generate an XML instance document. Its original
purposing was for generating diff information between two versions of
a Schema, when it had devised every possible path of instance
expression of the Schema, and this was output as either XML or a
sequence of SQL Insert/update statements.

On 31 August 2011 21:27, George Cristian Bina <george at oxygenxml.com> wrote:
> Hi Loren,
>
> Trang also does not offer a set of XML documents as output... What you need
> is an XML Schema instance generator - we have this support in oXygen:
>
> short video demo
> http://www.oxygenxml.com/demo/Generate_Sample_XML_Files.html
>
> user guide related topics
> http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-developerEclipse/topics/preferences-xml-instances-generator.html
> http://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-developer/topics/xml-schema-inst-gener-command-line.html
>
> Best Regards,
> George
> --
> George Cristian Bina
> http://www.oxygenxml.com
>
> On 8/31/11 7:50 PM, Loren Cahlander wrote:
>>
>> The only problem with that is that trang only supports W3C XML Schema
>> for output:
>>
>>> A schema written in any of the supported schema languages can be
>>> converted into any of the other supported schema languages, except
>>> that W3C XML Schema is supported for output only, not for input.
>>>

>> On Aug 31, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Adam Retter wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't mind some java, trang can do this for you...

Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter
tweet: adamretter
http://www.adamretter.org.uk