[xquery-talk] XML Databases that support "Dynamic" XQuery Collections?

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:23:19 PST 2011

FYI on the roadmap of eXist-db is the facility to virtualise collections.
This would meet your requirements, but its not ready today I'm afraid.
On 25 Feb 2011 19:55, "Wood, Jamey" <Jamey.Wood at nrel.gov> wrote:
> Are there any XML Databases (or even just XQuery engines that use some
kind of persistent optimized indexing scheme) that provide some way to
define "dynamic" collections? In other words, I'm looking for something
similar to how Saxon implements collections:

> http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/sourcedocs/collections.xml
>
> …where:
>
> * Any given document could belong to multiple different collections
simultaneously
> * A collection's membership might itself be produced by a query or other
dynamic mechanism

> Sorry if that isn't the right terminology for what I'm seeking. From what
I've read and seen, Saxon's approach to collections could meet these needs.
But its general performance will be hindered by not having some kind of
persistent indexing mechanism for the underlying XML documents (as is done
in systems like eXist and MonetDB). Is that correct?