[xquery-talk] Re: XQuery-based Java Unit tests?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Mar 9 23:24:16 PST 2011

> Michael, your report on the testing via XPath assertions against the query
> result is interesting and comes very close to what I imagined. I have not yet
> understood if the tool launching the tests and evaluating the results according
> to the test configuration you showed is an official W3C testing tool, an
> internal Saxonica tool, or perhaps neither of them.
It's a format that Saxonica is proposing to W3C.
> Final note: I wonder if there is a rationale behind confining assertions to
> XPath expressions, rather than the more general alternative - XQuery
> expressions.

Part of the aim is to have an XPath test suite that isn't dependent on
XQuery. Most of the assertions are very simple and I haven't seen any
need to use XQuery in this role. XPath is also easier to embed in XML.
But of course you could use XQuery if you needed to.

Michael Kay
Saxonica