[xquery-talk] Roman numeral kata in XQuery

Matthias Brantner matthias.brantner at 28msec.com
Mon May 16 10:37:08 PDT 2011

Mattio,

some XQuery processors (e.g. Zorba) already implement the latest working draft of
XQuery 3.0 (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-30/). This provides two interesting
features related to your example.

1. A switch expression (http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-30/#id-switch)
  switch ($input)
    case "I" return 1
    case "V" return 5
    case "X" return 10
    case "L" return 50
    case "C" return 100
    case "D" return 500
    case "M" return 1000
    default return 0

2. The XQuery 3.0 function library (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions-30/#func-format-integer)
provides a function for the reverse conversion (i.e. integer to roman numeral). For example,
format-integer(55, 'I').

Best regards

Matthias