[xquery-talk] [ANN] presenting XQuery - GSD language at MarkLogic User Group London Nov 24

James Fuller james.fuller.2007 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:15:41 PST 2011

I will be presenting a more technical version of my recent
presentation (at Arhus GOTOCON) about XQuery.

http://www.meetup.com/muglondon/events/40390792/

I used this talk to try and provide some basis to the various adhoc
comments I have received over the years about XQuery productivity ...
yes we know its very productive but I wanted to understand the reasons
behind this. So I did an informal analysis and survey to try and
understand if XQuery is actually productive or if its a matter of the
imagination!

I will also try and present a few xquery gems to illustrate the
boundaries of the language. One example of this is the recent Corona
effort https://github.com/marklogic/Corona which is an attempt to
build a complete NoSQL drop in replacement, using XQuery set within
MarkLogic. Its a pretty impressive example of how far you can push the
language.

In particular I am interested in discussing how we can further promote
XQuery to a larger audience (and possibly all kinds of data); so would
be great to get some momentum behind this.

I don't know if XQuery will ever gain critical adoption, but I do know
it took SQL 15 yrs to 'catch on' and it will take several years for
the NoSQL crowd to get their query/update story standardized ... I do
know that a language like SQL and XQuery is what we need and open to
all ideas of how to go forward.

Jim Fuller