[xquery-talk] [ANN] presenting XQuery - GSD language at MarkLogic User Group London Nov 24

James Fuller james.fuller.2007 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 02:53:24 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there a killer app yet?
>>
>> unsure what you mean, is there a killer app for SQL ?
>
> I mean some well known product/site/app/thing that is all done using
> xquery behind the scenes... so when you are talking someone who
> doesn't quite believe that it's the-next-big-thing, you can say 'these
> guys are using it'.
>
> For example, Hadoop has Facebook, Ruby has Twitter (but afaik, then
> ran into problems and then parts of it were rewritten in Java) etc

yes there are tons of apps out there, just look at all the very cool
stuff people are using MarkLogic for; some very revolutionary stuff
with the bulk being done in XQuery but perhaps is not shouted to the
rooftops that xquery is programming language in affect.

but most of these apps are vertical in nature, applied to a specific
industry and there is nothing horizontal (markmail?) I know of but I
think the point I was trying to make is that for XQuery to gain
adoption as a data dsl we need to focus first on its applicability
there instead of a general programming language. There is probably no
killer app for SQL for example.

That being said am always interested in potential ideas for a killer
app ... personally i think said killer app would actually be
XQuery+database but I maybe wrong....

Jim Fuller