[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

James Fuller james.fuller.2007 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 12:03:31 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Daniela Florescu <dflorescu at mac.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am having a problem right now, and I don't know how to solve it.
>
> We had over the summer several outstanding students, who did
> really great research in processing XML and XQuery.
>
> Here comes the question. Where can we publish the result of this research
>  !?

http://www.springer.com/computer/database+management+%26+information+retrieval/book/978-3-642-03554-8

http://www.springer.com/computer/database+management+%26+information+retrieval/book/978-3-540-30951-2

In my mind Balisage is the natural for this, but we could orientate
things now that we have moved XML Prague to University of Ekonomics
... perhaps there is value in a compiled journal from several
conferences/sources (XML Summer School et al) ?

> 2. Database conferences.

I dont think so ... many of these guys are being forced to accept
polystructured data ... my feeling is this are is probably the logical
container for these kind of papers.

> So they'll not understand the XQuery new work, let alone publish it.

agreed, but I its a pretty broad tent with lots of outlets for
publishing, some who may consider

> 3. Functional programming conferences (after all, XQuery is a functional
> language..). Maybe it's a choice !?
> I have no experience, but I am interested to hear if anybody else has.

fp bulk existence is in academic form and perhaps its time to welcome
xquery 3.0 to them ... they would probably support a language with a
gentle learning curve, etc.

> 4. WWW Conference. Based on my experience, it's such a wide conference ---
> it's like a conference on water
> -- where do you start !? As a result the audience, as well as the program
> committee, is interested in widely different
>  things (and XML/XQuery might not be one of them, and then you are out of
> luck)

agreed too broad, but as an activity to get the word out about xquery
probably useful to attempt to go

> 5. NoSQL conferences. Unfortunately, there are two problems. First, NoSQL is
> still not accepted in academic conferences
> -- they have the same problem as XML itself. And second, they try to stay
> away from XML like crazy ("angle brackets, not cool,man, not cool. Not Web
> scale.").

I believe we should be at these conferences, if not because NoSQL
crowd is about to have their own 'query wars' and it will be good to
be near (but on the sidelines of this).

> So, I am interested in your feedback.

will send more thoughts after the weekend.