[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Oct 12 16:22:58 PDT 2011

>> Few  of the cs phds  I've interviewed could do ANY of the tasks you quote.  None had to pass an exam in making programs that actually worked

I have to say my experience is the opposite. I've worked with a great
many software developers who were good at making things, but lacked the
education to discover the theory of how they ought to be made: they were
mechanics rather than engineers. As a result I've seen a lot of people
building things using home-grown invented techniques that were vastly
inferior to the state of the art available from the research literature.
Or doing crazy things like trying to parse XML with regular expressions.
You get something that works most of the time (if you're lucky), but
often costs a lot more and performs a lot worse than if the designers
had had a higher level of professional education.

Of course that doesn't mean that everyone with a PhD is a good
programmer or designer, but most of those I have worked with have been.

Michael Kay
Saxonica