[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Wed Oct 12 22:31:08 PDT 2011

This is really interesting. I'm very curious as to why people think XML
is dead.

All the job descriptions that come across my desk ask for XML. Entering
XML as a keyword in Monster.com returns "1000+" jobs, which appears to
be the highest number they'll return. Dice.com says 10803 of its 85033
jobs ask for XML.

XML has done what we all thought and hoped it might -- become as
ubiquitous and mundane as ASCII. Or perhaps that's just it: Nobody
builds academic careers on ASCII.

All I can say is that this shows a remarkable lack of foresight on the
part of academia. The technical part of the written world is slowly
migrating to XML and it would seem that the opportunities are boundless
for finding clever ways to query, assimilate, and build intelligent
systems on top of all that marked-up text. Perhaps it's just too fuzzy
for mainstream computer scientists?

-- Ron