[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Thu Oct 13 01:01:00 PDT 2011

On 13/10/2011 00:51, David Lee wrote:
> Perhaps the us and uk differ substantially in academic philosophy

Yes, perhaps. Certainly the UK and Germany differ greatly. In Germany,
from what I've seen, you need to have academic qualifications to be a
manager in a technology company; when I worked in Software AG most of
the senior technical people and managers had doctorates. In the UK, it's
quite common for the management to feel threatened by, and avoid
employing, people who are smarter than they are. I think software
companies in the US put much more effort into hiring high-flyers than
those in the UK, but in both countries academic qualifications count for
little.

One traditional difference between the UK and the US, which has been
diluted but still exists, is that academia in the UK traditionally
thinks of commerce as rather grubby and undignified, which means that
the cultural distrust between academia and industry actually applies on
both sides. There's not nearly enough cross-fertilization. There are
also far too many people teaching computing in our universities who have
no industrial experience at all.

Michael Kay
Saxonica