[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Thu Oct 13 09:30:52 PDT 2011

> Markus
I would never disagree. I am just disagreeing with David who seems to
be at the position that academia is useless and PhDs are unable to do
anything useful (he really seems to hate PhD people - it seems to be a
personal thing, so no discussion needed).

That's not my opinion nor what I said.    I don't hate PhD people. My father was one and some of my best friends are.  I don't hate any of them.   What I'm saying is my experience is that having a PhD *in itself* doesn't necessarily make one more qualified as a Software Developer.   And that often the sorts of skills and mindsets of CS PhD's are not the skills and mindsets needed for writing production quality  software.    Any more than having a PhD in Math makes you necessarily a good accountant.  Or having an PhD in Architecture makes you necessarily any good with a hammer.  That doesn't mean I hate them or that I think the skills have no value.   Its an age-old debate about the role of Acedemia.  Are universities there to create people with skills for industry ? or are they there to create people  with skills in reasearch ?   The skills often do not overlap.

-David

-David