[xquery-talk] JSON query processing

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Oct 15 10:22:14 PDT 2011

On 15/10/2011 16:10, Adam Retter wrote:
>>> Why, you dont need schemata in JavaScript for you object notation, the
>>> JSON itself is both the definition of the shape and the shape itself
>>> (content).
>>>
>> Schemas are useful for tools, like data transformation tools.

More than this, a schema is a specification and a contract. If you're
interchanging data with a business partner, or within a business
community, you need a specification of what data you intend to
interchange and you need a way of validating that the data conforms to
the specification. If JSON is to move out of its current niche of being
used to communicate, in effect, between different parts of the same
application, then it's almost inevitable it will start to acquire some
of the baggage that makes XML seem so complicated.

Michael Kay
Saxonica