[xquery-talk] Non-conformant XML-parsers..

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Apr 6 02:38:59 PDT 2012

Because the spec allows implementation-defined serialization attributes,
I'm inclined to the view that if there's a user demand, implementors
will add the feature, and if enough implementors add it, it becomes
worth standardizing. Some of the existing options, such as
omit-content-type and suppress-indentation, got into the standard having
first appeared as Saxon extensions.

There's a steady trickle of requests to provide serialization options to
control things that shouldn't make any difference: empty tags, choice of
quotes for attribute delimiters, use of entities and character
references, details of indentation, etc etc. It's hard to know where to
draw the line.

The existence of non-conformant XML parsers isn't a use case that is
likely to carry much weight with the W3C WGs, unless perhaps it's a
non-conformance that is very widespread and exists for a good reason,
such as conflicts between different specifications.

Michael Kay
Saxonica