[xquery-talk] XML and the US Congress

Sall, Kenneth SallK at saic-dc.com
Mon Apr 23 12:30:04 PDT 2012

In addition to NIEM.gov, Wikipedia has a very good NIEM overview page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Information_Exchange_Model

As for agency adoption, you can get an idea from the 13 "domains" currently participating in NIEM:
https://www.niem.gov/faq/Pages/what-domains-are-currently-participating-in-niem.aspx

The US Federal CIO Council published a report in June 2010 that some may find informative:
AGENCY INFORMATION EXCHANGE FUNCTIONAL STANDARDS EVALUATION:
Adoption and Use of the NATIONAL INFORMATION EXCHANGE MODEL https://www.niem.gov/documentsdb/Documents/Other/AssessmentReport.pdf

For those wanting to see how exchanges are modeled and implemented in NIEM, I recommend a 4-article series written by Priscilla Walmsley, a very familiar name to many of you:
Creating a NIEM IEPD
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-NIEM1/index.html

Finally, the NIEM Naming and Design Rules share similarities with other NDRs such as those for UBL and UNCEFACT standards.
https://www.niem.gov/documentsdb/Documents/Technical/NIEM-NDR-1-3.pdf
Standards such as ISO/IEC 11179 (parts 4 & 5) and CCTS were leveraged too.

Ken Sall
Data Architect / Sr. XML Data Analyst
202-261-9045 (office)
410-952-2076 (cell)