[xquery-talk] Strong data checking on @xml:id?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Jun 8 16:00:06 PDT 2012

The relevant statement in the spec is XQuery 3.7.1.1 clause 5:

"If the attribute name is xml:id, then xml:id processing is performed as
defined in [XML ID]. This ensures that the attribute has the type xs:ID
and that its value is properly normalized. If an error is encountered
during xml:id processing, an implementation MAY raise a dynamic error
[err:XQDY0091]."

So yes, the effect is to some extent implementation-defined.

Saxon never raises XQDY0091. It does apply normalize-space() to the
value, but unless you are validating the result tree, it doesn't
complain if the value isn't a valid NCName. I'm not sure why I made this
decision; it's conformant with the spec, but my feeling today would be
that validating the value (and reporting an error) would be preferable.

Michael Kay
Saxonica