[xquery-talk] Schema in xquery

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Mon Mar 5 18:27:23 PST 2012

I've been contemplating the relationship between schema and type in schema aware xquery.
Is xquery strictly tied to XSD? That is,  could an implementation support another schema format such as rng to provide for the type system?  Without conversion to XSD?   Is validation strictly bound to type assignment?
Would it be valid XQuery to allow for some totally new type definition language as long as it produced XDM? Or is the language strictly bound to the XSD model?
It's just becoming increasingly aware to me that were mixing document validity checking too tightly with a type definition .. Where their roles may overlap but are not the same.

Sent from my iPad (excuse the terseness)
David A Lee
dlee at calldei.com