[xquery-talk] comment out all the rest of the program

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Mar 9 00:13:27 PST 2012

 >You see I sadly miss the ability to add # to comment one line =bla

I guess every programming language has some individual features which
will be sorely missed by someone coming to XQuery from that particular
language. (I still pine after a language that allowed spaces in variable
and function names). The consequence of this line of reasoning is that
XQuery should offer every feature that has been offered by every other
popular programming language.

Personally, I've never come across a "comment to end of file" feature in
any of the many languages I have used, and have never felt a need for
it. As for "comment to end of line", we made a conscious decision that
in many of the environments where XQuery is likely to be used, line
endings are potentially unstable (e.g. they can be normalized away if
used in XML attributes) and that it was therefore a bad idea to treat a
line ending differently from a space.

Michael Kay
Saxonica