[xquery-talk] say how to get "newline" working

Liam R E Quin liam at w3.org
Sat Mar 10 19:01:32 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 10:14 +0800, jidanni at jidanni.org wrote:

> Haven't had to make my own newlines since using those Control Data
> computers back in the 80's. But if you insist...

XQuery is not really a line-oriented language. I don't agree with you
that "it should be as easy as seq 1 3" any more than it should be easy
to process XML documents recursively an element at a time with sed, or
to use grep only within certain elements. Unix is line-oriented, XQuery
is XML-oriented.

This is true regardless of whether you used Control Data computers.

Having said that, I can imagine a BaseX feature request - or maybe even
an XQuery feature request - for how to separate items in a sequence when
serializing. Such a request could be filed against the 3.0 serialization
spec at https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/ and the XQuery and XSLT Working
Groups will discuss it.

Liam