[xquery-talk] moving an element from last child to next sibling

Michael Sokolov sokolov at ifactory.com
Tue Oct 23 19:30:20 PDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 10:02 AM, David Sewell wrote:

> Speaking as someone who wrote a lot of pseudo-templates in XQuery
> before MarkLogic added an XSLT 2.0 parser to their product, this is
> one area where XSLT is a lot more pleasant to use, if that's a
> possibility.
>
> David
Hear, hear - we abandoned using xquery for transformations as well for
that reason.

When I was still struggling with that, I found myself trying to write a
pattern-matching system (basically something like xslt implemented in
xquery), but it was too difficult in XQuery 1.0.

Now I wonder whether something like this is feasible using xquery 3.0
features.  Maybe not worth the effort, given the existence of xslt, but
at least you could imagine defining a map of XPath to function,
iterating over a tree, matching patterns and calling functions...

-Mike