[xquery-talk] moving an element from last child to next sibling

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Oct 24 00:43:14 PDT 2012

> Now I wonder whether something like this is feasible using xquery 3.0
> features.  Maybe not worth the effort, given the existence of xslt,
> but at least you could imagine defining a map of XPath to function,
> iterating over a tree, matching patterns and calling functions...

I think that with maps* and higher-order functions you could do
something quite powerful; however the resulting code might be very
cryptic to the uninitiated.

* Sadly, maps are not in XQuery 3.0, though John Snelson has shown how
they can be implemented using higher-order functions...

Michael Kay
Saxonica