[xquery-talk] xquery technology now ready?

Liam R E Quin liam at w3.org
Mon Dec 9 23:10:33 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-09 at 23:41 +0000, e-letter wrote:
> Readers,
>
> Can xquery be used for the following scenario:
[...]
> Can an xhtml web page be created with a html form to select a book
> title from a menu list, then display the full details of the book in
> another xhtml web page, using xquery?[...]

> What software (if any) needs to be installed for the xml documents to
> be processed on a standard linux web server?

For a catalogue of any size you'll probably want to send only the
matching entries to the Web browser/client, so you'll want to run XQuery
on the server.

There are maybe a dozen reasonably popular choices. I use BaseX
(Java-based) on www.fromoldbooks.org; Zorba (C++) seemed to me to be
somewhat harder to set up but then BaseX is particularly easy. There's
also an Apache module called sedna, and a stand-alone database server
called eXist; there are commercial offerings from Microsoft, Oracle,
IBM, MarkLogic and many more.

Liam

W3C staff contact for the XQuery Working Group