[xquery-talk] xquery technology now ready?

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Wed Dec 11 09:16:12 PST 2013

==========
Useful opinion, thanks, but your comment prompts the following
personal conclusion: xforms was/is hampered by insufficient web
browser support; xquery by insufficient web server (standard hosting
supplier) support.
===========

Not all technologies get adopted by everyone. .
I dont know exactly (but I do know *roughly*) by what you mean by "standard hosting supplier" - ie. those that sell the cheapest "web site hosting" possible to the most people.
I dont agree that means "hampered" ... it just means " vastly availble for nearly nothing" and if that is your most important criteria go for it.
It is generally a circular problem ...
If you want a *free xquery* hosting provider you can get one today from Amazon for 1 year using their free tier support.
After that ... if $2/month vs $7/month is your most important concern then xquery isnt for you.

Browser support is a problem for XForms (although I belive there are versions which  dont require browser support)
Browser support is a non-issue for XQuery - it is browser agnostic.
If you want the absolutely dirt cheapest "solution" go with a free service like most major providers will give you for free (bloggger etc).
you wont get XQuery or even mysql or PHP but you will get a "web site" for "free" (typically "free" means your web site will have ads on it).

If cost is your major concern and $2/month vs $7/month is the key factor in your decision on what technology you want to learn and use then go with the cheapest.
But making claims about technology viability by quoting the bare minimum low end just isn't something you will get great resounding agreement with on this list.
XQuery can be had for free.
Convincing budget low end web hosting providers to provide it may take a while if ever.
Convincing Browser vendors to build it into their browser (let alone XSLT 2.0 or 3.0 ) ... well I am not holding my breath.
but none of this has to do with the maturity or quality of technology.

As Michael Key said so elegantly, I will paraphrase, if your #1 issue is cost, ride the bus.  Or walk for that matter.

There is nothing wrong with that, but you will have a hard time convincing car drivers and manufacturers that means that cars are not viable.

David A. Lee
dlee at calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org