[xquery-talk] xquery technology now ready?

e-letter inpost at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 12:01:49 PST 2013

On 11/12/2013, David Lee <dlee at calldei.com> wrote:
> If you want a *free xquery* hosting provider you can get one today from
> Amazon for 1 year using their free tier support.

A brief look at amazon suggests that I could (assuming correct
comprehension!) create a linux web server virtual image and export to
amazon to host and make public, free for a year. It is during the
creation of the linux web server image that the necessary xquery
server software can be installed.

> Convincing budget low end web hosting providers to provide it may take a
> while if ever.

I don't understand this (being ignorant of the web host market,
admittedly). If a gnu gpl xquery server software exists why would they
be reluctant to add this to their service if a customer demands and
pays for it?

> As Michael Key said so elegantly, I will paraphrase, if your #1 issue is
> cost, ride the bus.  Or walk for that matter.

Consider the question of cost as being "devil's advocate"; it seems
that the price of using xquery is at least 3x a more prevalent sql &
server script system, but of course there's more to decision making
than "ticket price" comparisons...Anyway this has proven to be a
useful discussion and fascinating to learn that amazon is more than a
mere book-seller!