[xquery-talk] xquery technology now ready?

Liam R E Quin liam at w3.org
Wed Dec 11 13:56:39 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 20:01 +0000, e-letter wrote:

> I don't understand this (being ignorant of the web host market,
> admittedly). If a gnu gpl xquery server software exists why would they
> be reluctant to add this to their service if a customer demands and
> pays for it?

The most popular ones are written in Java, and use more memory and CPU
than the Web hosting companies want to allocate to a shared host. There
also tends to be a distrust of Java-based software in Free software
communities.

> Consider the question of cost as being "devil's advocate"; it seems
> that the price of using xquery is at least 3x a more prevalent sql &
> server script system,

I don't think that's necessarily true. For example, apache with zorba
and PHP is a Java-free zero-dollar open-source alternative.

You can also run XQuery systems alongside MySQL quite happily, accessing
relational data as well as XML hierarchical data from XQuery.

Liam