[xquery-talk] Functional paradigm shift

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:33:53 PST 2013

I should have also mentioned this free course -
https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun

I took it the first time it ran and it is truly excellent. I think you
may be able to do it non-live as well, by just downloading all the
materials and video lectures. If not I am certain it will run again
soon.

On 12 December 2013 00:26, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka at gmail.com> wrote:
> SICP - great book :)
>
> Read Picturing Programs by Stephen Bloch. It is more likely to tax your
> patience than your brain. If you find that too slow How to Design Programs.
> Both of which are free on the web.
>
> Casual observation. Every time I have bought a Functional Programmng book
> that was written by a developer rather than an academic, (done it about 5
> times now) I have regretted it.
>

> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Misztur, Chris <CMisztur at macleanfogg.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks.  How would you write invoking a logger and exception checking?
>>

>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:11 PM, "Adam Retter" <adam.retter at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I think the classic text is SICP (Structured Interpretation of Computer
>> Programs). This can be downloaded for free.
>>
>> If you still do .Net stuff, maybe worth switching to F# to force you more
>> into a functional approach.
>>
>> > For example I am doing this a lot:
>> >
>> > let $result := some-func()
>> > let $a := if($result eq 0)
>> > then()
>> > else(logger:log($result),error())
>> >
>> > It just doesn't feel right.
>>
>> Sequences are the key. One approach is to just map/transform on sequences,
>> if you have an empty sequence then nothing happens, else you get the
>> expected result ;-)
>>

>> > -c
>> >

>> > ________________________________
>> >
>> > The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential.
>> > Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it
>> > without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive
>> > any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the
>> > permission of the author.
>> >
>> > Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

>> ________________________________
>>
>> The contents of this message may be privileged and confidential.
>> Therefore, if this message has been received in error, please delete it
>> without reading it. Your receipt of this message is not intended to waive
>> any applicable privilege. Please do not disseminate this message without the
>> permission of the author.
>>
>> Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter
tweet: adamretter
http://www.adamretter.org.uk