[xquery-talk] Is it possible to maintain a list of value in XQuery

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Wed May 15 17:22:57 PDT 2013

I still am unconvinced that the theory that a purely functional language would enable vastly better optimizations
has yet to be realized in the real world and may never be.   It sounds good, and looks good on paper ...
And maybe someday a genius will make it so ... and teach us peons how to do it Gods Way.
But in practice using non-functional semantics can produce vastly faster or simplier code sometimes  (or both	)....
Or why would every XQuery vendor put them in ?  They got tired of telling customers they were wrong.
And keeping a straight face ....

Of course this was the same argument for "register" and _asm in C ... and later had the back door "volatile" snuck in where
the assumptions of nothing sneaky happening in the back door were violated .... who knows what "volatile" really means nowadays in a multi-core multi layered cache line system ... The Compiler Knows :)

And yes adding scripting frameworks on top of XQuery is very powerful ... And Good. (why I wrote xmlsh ... ) ...
combining them is a very good mix.  But when your "stuck" with pure XQuery ... or XSLT for that matter no matter how many times the gurus tell you that its for your own good ... it seems more religion then fact ...
Thats my opinion and I'm sticking with it no matter how many facts you want to throw at me :)

David A. Lee
dlee at calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org