[xquery-talk] and what I think we should tackle right now

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Mon May 20 23:07:52 PDT 2013

> On xml-dev there was a long discussion about this and someone said this very intelligent thing:
> "the Web ignored XML because XML ignored the Web".
>
> I don't remember who, but this was brilliant.
> The world will AGAIN ignore XML if XML CONTINUES to ignore the realities of the web.

Sorry to come back to this....

The fact that the Web will ignore XML does not bother me so much (well, that's a well deserved reaction, sorry!).

What bothers me is the fact that they will throw the baby with the baby water, and they will ignore XQuery.

And XQuery (the functional, declarative aspect of information processing..) is not guilty for the silliness of the good old  core
XML mentality (they still have SGML revenge on their flags, documents are the only thing that matters, and semi-structured
data never happened...:-).

I wish XQuery would be bound to that good old XML mentality, because it has nothing to do with it.

</end-of-stream>

Dana