[xquery-talk] and what I think we should tackle right now

Michael Sokolov msokolov at safaribooksonline.com
Tue May 21 05:56:18 PDT 2013

On 05/21/2013 08:05 AM, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
>> Same story on the backend, when it comes to query flexible documents, XQuery
>> has answered a lot of questions that the NoSQL community is only starting to
>> discover and yet it seems that there is a cultural gap between the two
>> communities.
>>

> Re NoSQL and a bit of a digression. but could same the same about
> IMS/DB, IDMS or any of the old network/hierarchical databases. Perhaps
> the issue with NoSQL is that they like to believe (or  at least behave
> as if ) they are doing something new and unique.

The difference is the ready availability of huge computing resources and
datasets to a large number of entry-level programmers and data users,
for want of a better word.  I think the XQuery model is great for what
it provides to those willing to scale the mountain, but it also seems as
if there is a big "niche" for a system that provides easy
query/processing/storage etc capabilities at enormous scale for low
intellectual investment.  Look at Google - one box, type anything, get
something not totally wrong usually.  It's a low barrier in terms of
query capability, but an enormous amount of data and usability for
(almost) *everyone*.  NoSQL databases are a few steps up from that in
terms of data modeling and query language, but what they are really
trying to offer is easy scaling.

-Mike