[xquery-talk] and what I think we should tackle right now

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Tue May 21 06:14:29 PDT 2013

Personally I think that XQuery can have support for consuming and
producing JSON, but do I want to work with JSON inside XQuery - not
really. I do a LOT of work with both JSON and XML, for JSON work I
tend to use JavaScript and for XML I tend to use XQuery/XSLT.

Should there be one language to do both, perhaps. Is it XQuery, I dont
think so. However, it could be a new language which is a superset of
XQuery and takes many of the concepts from XQuery (maybe that is
JSONiq and maybe it is not). My point though is that the X in XQuery
stands for XML, I like XQuery and I do not think we need to reinvent
it, it does what it was designed for. I am not opposed to creating a
new language though, and if it allows me to do what I already do in
XQuery and also do a bunch of stuff which I normally do with
JavaScript *and* it is standardised and widely adopted then sure I
will move to it.

I guess I am saying, XQuery does not have to last for ever or even
reinvent itself, but whilst it is the right tool for the right job
(that I am doing) then I will continue to use it.

So, perhaps Daniela we should stop trying to change XQuery and instead
invent DQuery? Where the D is for Document (in the abstract sense).

On 21 May 2013 12:55, William Candillon <wcandillon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Same story on the backend, when it comes to query flexible documents,
>> > XQuery
>> > has answered a lot of questions that the NoSQL community is only
>> > starting to
>> > discover and yet it seems that there is a cultural gap between the two
>> > communities.
>>
>> Interesting - what are problems the NoSQL community is discovering
>> that XQuery solves?
>>
>> (I've got zero nosql knowledge)
>
> As far as I know, things like how do you joining documents efficiently or
> windowing queries. Navigating into deeply nested data.
> String collations, math functions, the whole date time data model.
>
> JSON document stores have been designed for scaling out and the processing
> capabilities are extremely poor. They try to catch up (at least that's what
> I'm seeing in some products). I feel that the XQuery expertise should be
> reused in this space. This is one of the goals of the JSONiq project.
>
> William
>

>> --
>> Andrew Welch
>> http://andrewjwelch.com