[xquery-talk] Matrix Multiplication (JSONiq)

Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt STAMMW at de.ibm.com
Mon Feb 3 02:56:08 PST 2014

Thanks for your XQuery 1-dimensional sample.

There are 4 XQuery with JSONiq implemenations named on jsoniq.org:
28.io, Zorba, IBM Websphere DataPower Integration Appliance and Pascal
XQuery engine

It seems not to be that easy to measure runtime.
Since http://try.zorba.io allows to share and run code I used that.
The method I found was to place Zorba's datetime:current-time() in result
sequence as first and last elements.
And the matrix multiplications need to be executed often to result in
measurable times (I did use 10.000.000).

These are JSONiq (1) and your XQuery (2) implemenations:
http://try.zorba.io/queries/xquery/vq+kL9tWK+jmntDZz0oxDcyrypA=
http://try.zorba.io/queries/xquery/NIlfOIBmkdvt8+2zNmvM8Hf1+bo=

The times reported are quite different although run on same processor:
PT1.713634S (JSONiq) versus PT9.77805S (XQuery)

Yes, that is only result for one processor. But I would assume even (much)
bigger differences in case the matrix dimensions become bigger and not toy
like as in the examples.

(1)
import module namespace datetime =
"http://www.zorba-xquery.com/modules/datetime";

declare variable $A := [
  [1,2],
  [3,4],
  [5,6],
  [7,8]
];
declare variable $B := [
  [1,2,3],
  [4,5,6]
];
declare variable $N := 10000000;

let $R := ( datetime:current-time(),
  for $h in 1 to $N return
  [
    for $i in 1 to count(jn:members($A)) return
    [
      for $k in 1 to count(jn:members($B(1))) return
        fn:sum(
          for $j in 1 to count(jn:members($B)) return
            $A($i)($j) * $B($j)($k)
        )
    ]
  ]
, datetime:current-time() )

return $R[count($R)] - $R[1]

(2)
import module namespace datetime =
"http://www.zorba-xquery.com/modules/datetime";

declare variable $a:=(2, (:2 columns :) 1,2, 3,4, 5,6, 7,8);
declare variable $b:=(3, (:3 columns :) 1,2,3, 4,5,6);
declare variable $N := 10000000;

let $R := ( datetime:current-time(),
  for $h in 1 to $N return
    ( $b[1], for $i in 1 to xs:int((count($a) -1) div $a[1]), $j in 1 to
xs:int($b[1]) return
      sum( for $k in 1 to xs:int($a[1]) return ($a[($i -1)*$a[1]+$k+1] * $b
[($k -1)*$b[1]+$j+1]) ) )
, datetime:current-time() )

return $R[count($R)] - $R[1]

Mit besten Gruessen / Best wishes,

Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
Level 3 support for XML Compiler team and Fixpack team lead
WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/HermannSW/
https://twitter.com/HermannSW/
http://stamm-wilbrandt.de/GraphvizFiddle/
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen