[xquery-talk] Collections - family relationships

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Sun Jan 5 10:24:31 PST 2014

At 2014-01-05 16:50 +0000, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
>If x is the document element of a document in a collection, is it
>the sibling of y that is the document element of another document in
>the same collection?
>
>If not why not?

It doesn't, because the specification says it doesn't:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath-functions-20070123/#func-collection
   "returns a sequence of nodes"

A sequence of nodes has no sibling inter-relationships.

For my students there is a helpful diagram regarding memory
organization on page 223 of my XSLT book that is available for free
download on a "try and buy" basis at
http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/#ptux ... if you decide not
to pay for the book, please delete the copy that you download for free.

The memory organization in XQuery is the same, and I use a similar
diagram in my XQuery hands-on class that shows the different
declaration syntaxes.  But the handouts for that class are not
available publicly, so I can only share with you the XSLT pages.

A tree of nodes is different than a sequence of nodes.  In a tree
nodes can have a sibling relationship, but in a sequence, there is no
connection between the nodes.

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |