[xquery-talk] Tales of the unexpected version III - Atomization

Andrew Welch andrew.j.welch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 09:13:57 PST 2014

On 8 January 2014 16:59, David Carlisle <davidc at nag.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/01/2014 16:51, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
>>
>> I guess what I said about the error message didn't resonate.
>

> The error message seems clear and appropriate: if you copy two
> attributes with the same name to the same element you get an error. (It
> could be defined not to be an error, XSLT as I mentioned ignores all of
> the copied nodes except the last) but it is hard to see how atomization
> (the subject line you chose for this thread) is related to that.

Indeed - this is ultimately all boils down to the gotcha of xquery
returning element and attribute nodes instead of the string values of
those nodes ala xslt.  (my test framework uses xquery in the junit
tests and I still often get caught by this when I forget /string(.) on
the end of simple xpaths)

Like all gotchas you will get got until you know about them.  The
thing is, xquery has a load more, so if they are all played out like
this it should be fun.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com