[xquery-talk] Collections - family relationships

Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 11:54:58 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Joe Wicentowski <joewiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally, someone understands my pure, noble intentions!  I aim to advance the state of the field through the following tactics: lob questions phrased so vaguely and researched so lightly that rational, compassionate people feel no choice but to respond lest they let me wallow in my very evident frustration and cluelessness.  Then, when they provide their best answer, I reply even more belligerently.  This pulls all the others into the discussion to sort out the mess.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Eventually, through the mass of frustration, people start to piece together some vague sense of my original issue and acknowledge that there was some kernel of a point there.  By that time I have moved on and don't care anymore, and tell everyone so.  But look at what was accomplished.  Field, advanced, suckers!
>
> Other people might have stepped back from their initial sense of frustration, researched the issue, and made a polite request for assistance or comment.  But that's no fun.  And it's not my style.  And if you don't like it, go ahead, call me on it.  You'll be sorry.

If you have already solved your problem you have no reason to be frustrated.

The minute you give any sort of detail...... the fatal words in this
thread were.......

"Let me give a bit of background to the use case motivating the question."

 someone immediately launches in with code and then expects you to be grateful.

So you feel obligated out of politeness and respect to respond and
they continue feeding you code and examples and you just want to get
back to your work because you already knew that an aggregated group by
would get the result but you really want to know why putting things in
different collections because they come from different places or have
different schemas should mandate the destruction of other
relationships that exist in the real world you are modelling. Because
in the real world you wouldn't aggregate and group these things - you
would simply say they came from the same person.

And of course there isn't code to answer that so you either have to
ignore the fellow feeding it to you  or find some way of saying thats
not what I am asking and the longer this situation persists it keeps
you from getting on with what you are supposed to be doing and keeps
the discussion from getting round to what you actually wanted to talk
about. THATS THE POINT where frustration is liable to kick in because
without fail on every thread that this happens there are people who
get what is being asked straight away.