[xquery-talk] [xsl] Re: Random number generation : requirements

Michael Sokolov msokolov at safaribooksonline.com
Tue May 6 15:48:18 PDT 2014

On 5/6/2014 6:41 PM, Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com wrote:
>> My policy on side effects is: all expressions containing side effects are going to be evaluated in order
>>
> I do something like that in Saxon as well. But I don't attempt to define what "in order" means; for example, the order in which different global variables are evaluated. Doing this in the spec would be much more problematic.

You don't think it would be reasonable to say something to the effect
that the order in which non-deterministic expressions are evaluated is
non-deterministic (ie implementation-defined)? Certainly it would be
reasonable enough in the case of a random number generator.  Although I
suppose if you are going to seed it, you would like the seed to effect
the random numbers that are generated.

-Mike