[xquery-talk] [xsl] Re: Random number generation : requirements

Ghislain Fourny ghislain.fourny at 28msec.com
Thu May 8 06:34:14 PDT 2014

Hi Benito,

We had a discussion on monads not so long ago in the context of update
and scripting. I like the elegance of monads. It is my understanding.
though, that monads only defer side effects to until they are applied
-- and then you are back to the need for side effects semantics.

Somehow, side effects and their visibility to subsequent expressions
bring an irreducible amount of complexity to the design of the
language (evaluation order, snapshots, etc). I don' t think there is
an easy way to introduce them -- clean and elegant, maybe, but not
easy, or at least, I believe, not easier than what was done in the
current scripting draft or alternate implementations.

That said, I think it is an important point that non-determinism is
distinct from side effects. You can have deterministic side effects,
and you can have non-determinism without side effects (as I tried to
illustrate in my former e-mail). So far, I am not convinced that
introducing side effects would address non-determinism.

Does it make sense?

Kind regards,
Ghislain