[xquery-talk] outer join between 2 sequences

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 28 06:13:28 PDT 2014

So after a bit more coffee and a bit of research it seems to me that
the only way you are going to get this to be fast would be if you used
a hash based looked for one of your sequences. Something like a
HashMap or BloomFilter would do the job, see:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4261619/fastest-set-operations-in-the-west

I have made some experimentations with the above in Scala, a HashMap
works nicely here in-terms of performance because it is simple and
available, and in your case with Integers you do not need to worry
about duplicates because the value of a number is it's identity.

So, if you don't want to implement a HashMap or BloomFilter in XQuery,
what is one to do? Well XQuery 3.1 will introduce the Map data-type
and some implementations already have done this. If you understand the
implementation (or even hazard a guess), there is a good chance that
that XQuery map may in-fact under the covers be a HashMap.

I won't say too much more about this as I have been discussing it with
Wolfgang this morning, and I think he will shortly post you a very
fast example when using XQuery 3.1 Maps in eXist...

--
Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter
tweet: adamretter