[xquery-talk] Empty or Null Array?

Eliot Kimber ekimber at contrext.com
Thu Jul 16 07:11:31 PDT 2015

I'm using an array to pass values down a recursive function call chain.

I noticed that, at least with BaseX but also based on my reading of the
3.1 spec, that you cannot construct an empty array.

Is this correct?

If so, how can one have a function where the array is effectively empty?
E.g., given this function declaration:

declare ns:myFunc($arg1 as xs:string+, $arg2 as array(*)?, $arg3 as
xs:string) {};

How can I satisfy the second argument when in fact I have no items for the
array?

I tried passing in () but BaseX says "Cannot cast empty-sequence() to
array(*)", which makes sense.

I would expect array{} to be a valid constructor, such that

array:size(array{}) = 0 is true but that does not appear to be allowed for
in the 3.1 spec.

What have I missed?

Thanks,

Eliot