[xquery-talk] Open source XQuery processors

William Candillon wcandillon at gmail.com
Thu May 7 15:26:32 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam at w3.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 17:06 +0000, Schwartz, Christine wrote:
>> I'm preparing an ALA preconference session for librarians titled
>> "Using XQuery as a Library Metadata Tool." I'd like to provide the
>> attendees with a list of XQuery resources so they can set up their
>> own XQuery programming environment at their home institutions. Open
>> source software is usually preferred by librarians, especially for
>> grant projects.
>>
>> I feel a little handicapped in this area as I've been using
>> MarkLogic for over seven years and have not had to work with open
>> source XQuery tools.
>
> I on the other hand have not used MarkLogic.
>
> BaseX and eXist seem to be the most widely used. There is also Zorba,
> although I found it difficult to set up, and Sedna, which seems not to
> be actively maintained.
That is absolutely true. We are currently tackling this problem.
We are providing a simple docker container for Zorba at the moment:
https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/wcandillon/zorba/
We are looking to provide in the future a Zorba service via docker
that can be consumed easily from php, java and son.

In the list of open source IDEs, I would like to add Atom
(https://atom.io/packages/language-jsoniq) and Cloud9.