[xquery-talk] Open source XQuery processors

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Thu May 7 16:01:26 PDT 2015

One thing to consider in this regard is how much data you have. It's
easy to imagine libraries having a lot of data and this could cause
performance problems.

As a general rule, file-based XQuery implementations parse XML documents
at run-time, rather than at file-load time, as is the case with database
XQuery implementations. This can be quite slow for large documents. In
addition, file-based XQuery implementations will have at best limited
indexes, which also adversely affects performance.

-- Ron

On 5/7/2015 12:14 PM, Schwartz, Christine wrote:
> In answer to Michael’s question, while I think a database implementation
> would be preferable (for working with XQuery), there are some librarians
> who may not have the IT support for a database implementation and I’d
> like to guide them to “filestore” implementations also.

---