[xquery-talk] Query 3.1 vs. JSONiq WAS Re: MarkLogic using JSONiq for processing JSON ?

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Sat May 9 13:46:05 PDT 2015

>> I get a single conclusion: the XQuery 3.1 committee has a total lack of vision and leadership in the NoSQL world.
>
> Well you might be right there. Standards groups don’t really do vision and leadership: they argue about braces and semicolons.

Michael,

I don’t get it.

You entire answer is telling me: "Standards groups don’t have (technical) vision and leadership."

That’s a HORRIBLE state of affairs, and I am surprised that this statement (that is indeed true) doesn’t shock you.

Then, how about they shut up and stop doing things, and imposing wrongly designed stuff on people. Or they could listen to people
who actually DO have technical vision and leadership !?

It seems that by “doing” things the XQuery WG hurts more then by being quiet, and close down.

In particular, XQuery 3.1 is a failure because has NOT been designed with the major requirement in mind they should have had, which is:

Make BOTH communities happy:  XML and JSON, and help them work and integrate together.
Help the (younger) JSON community learn from some of the lessons the (older) XML community learned in the past 16 years about querying
and processing semi-strcutured data.

The world needs both, and the world needs them to work well together.

Why should some past choice made by XSLT in the past be more important then the goal I just stated — in  big scheme of things !?

This is call short term thinking, and bad design.

Dana