[xquery-talk] my answer to my "MarkLogic's support for JSON" question

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Wed May 13 01:04:48 PDT 2015

Recent linkedin discussion.

Not sure why Andrei thought that this concerns me :-)))

It doesn’t. I really don’t care.

No matter how many bizzilions/gazzilions of $$$ MarkLogic is evaluated to, they still have ZERO innovation,
 their technology is mediocre, and they have no long term vision.

Do I hear someone saying: "here comes Oracle again” !?:-)
(without Larry Ellison though..)

Best regards
Dana

Daniela Florescu <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=name&authToken=IP5T&trk=hp-feed-member-name> commented on this
 <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10097757&authType=name&authToken=6zdS&trk=hp-feed-member-photo>
Andrei Yigal Lopatenko <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10097757&authType=name&authToken=6zdS&trk=hp-feed-member-name>
Head of Search Quality @ WalmartLabs <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10097757&authType=name&authToken=6zdS&trk=hp-feed-member-name>
Daniela Florescu <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=name&authToken=IP5T&trk=hp-feed-member-name> time of database companies https://lnkd.in/b8j4Tvv <https://lnkd.in/b8j4Tvv>
 <http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2015/05/12/database-vendor-marklogic-joins-billion-dollar-club-with-new-funding/>
Database Vendor MarkLogic Joins Billion-Dollar Club With New Funding
blogs.wsj.comMarkLogic Corp. has joined the ranks of the world’s most valuable private companies, raising $102 million …
 <http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2015/05/12/database-vendor-marklogic-joins-billion-dollar-club-with-new-funding/>LikeCommentShare22 people like this.33 comments.
 <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=name&authToken=IP5T&trk=hp-feed-commenter-photo>16hDaniela Florescu <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=name&authToken=IP5T&trk=hp-feed-commenter-name>And why is this for me, Andrei !?��Delete
 <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=&authToken=&trk=>nowDaniela Florescu <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=&authToken=&trk=>MarkLogic has a mediocre implementation of a W3C standard which is NOT designed by them but by the W3C: XQuery. There is no single technical innovation that I can see from MarkLogic. They've been good at hiring expensive sales people who play good golf and fool lots of customers that the advantages they get are coming from MarkLogic itself ,... vs the underlying technology (XQuery) -- which is the real truth.
 <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=&authToken=&trk=>nowDaniela Florescu <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=910384&authType=&authToken=&trk=> The sad problem is: customers are technically uneducated and willing to listen to all kinds of sales/snake oil stories. Or maybe there are some other reasons why customers are willing to pay a fortune for something they can get for free.... but then, other then stupidity, the reason escapes me. But who am I to judge if someone REALLY wants to waste 300K per CPU for something they can get fore free... !? If there are government customers, and this is MY taxes money, well.... I MIGHT have a problem with that, naturally.