[xquery-talk] Fwd: [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the design of XQuery 3.1

Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka at gmail.com
Wed May 13 02:11:40 PDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 13, 2015 at 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: [xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the design of XQuery
3.1
To: daniela florescu <dflorescu at me.com>

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 4:55 AM, daniela florescu <dflorescu at me.com> wrote:

> > The issue with many JSON people is that they don't seem to acknowledge
> the need for interoperability with XML so the utility of a "bilingual
> language" probably doesn't resonate.
>

> Ihe,
>
> this is where the JSONiq authors (me included) we did spent a HUGE amount
> of energy for design:  in the following compromise:
>
> (1) try to find a superset of XQuery 3.0 (so still stay in the XML
> world),  which can handle BOTH XML and JSON.
> This resulting language was not always pretty to look at, as you can
> imagine, because it inherited the syntactic
> quirks of BOTH XML and JSON, yet it is very powerful and useful, as you
> can imagine, if in an application you need to mix and match both.
>
> but in the same time, this billingual (expressive-power rich, but not
> pretty to look at, and not simple) language:
>
> (b) was able to be syntactically subsetted to a VERY SIMPLE language for
> querying/processing JSON-only. This subset was maintaining the “good” parts
> of XQuery
> (composability, declarativity, functional nature, optimizability,
> expressive power), while being aesthetically pleasing to a JSON-only crowd .

Sounds like Worse is Better.

> So I don’t agree with you. With JSONiq, we did prove that it IS possible
> to serve BOTh community with one underlying “virtual machine”, if you want,
> and several syntaxes,
> according to the “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” principle.

You misread me. Though not an expert but I have written some  JSONiq so I
can appreciate what you are saying.

 When i say JSON people I mean people like Marc (from the linkedin
discussion you started) and some others I have worked with who believe all
the myths  and think everything can and should be done in JSON. OK maybe
not that far out because such a person would never come to an XQuery WG but
you know the sort of people I mean.