[xquery-talk] [xml-dev] Re: [xml-dev] Mistakes made in the design of XQuery 3.1

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Sat May 16 10:32:56 PDT 2015

> On May 16, 2015, at 8:55 AM, Jim Melton <jim.melton at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> In passing, I would like to observe that the title of the W3C Working Group being discussed is "XML Query Working Group" and the charter of that WG speaks of developing a query language for XML.

Jim,

please, this discussion starts to be repetitive and boring.

Stop running around the bush, too. Hypocrisy in technology is no good if you want to build useful; technology.

Simple hypocritical statement: “ we were not interested in querying JSON”. Huh. Yet you added JSON structures to it.

Why not Protocol Buffer ? Why Not SQL relations ? Why not CSV ? Why not Scala structures ? The world is full of useful “stuff”….

Why adding JSON, if you were explicitly not interested by it !?

But obviously, I don’t expect an answer to this question. The answer is obvious. You think people can be so easily fooled!?

> JSONiq is a very good technology developed specifically to integrate thorough JSON support alongside the XML Query facilities in XQuery.

You bet it is. I don’t design shitty technology, and a lot of thought (not only mine, obviously, but a whole excellent team) went into that design.
[[ In fact, many good things in XQuery come from me: the functional aspect of XQuery, the FLWOR expression, the element constructor with dynamic content,
the functions, the windowing, the composability of updates, etc, etc.]]

And, as a side, if you personally wouldn’t have told me “ We don’t need to hear your opinion” in a the middle of a W3C meeting, and you wouldn’t have allowed
Sharon Adler to kick me out of a W3C meeting by cutting my phone line (both illegal behaviors by the standards of W3C, but Liam didn’t seem to “notice"),
today XQuery would have had a very nicely designed Scripting Extension  - similar to Stored Procedures in SQL, which would have enhanced the expressive
 power of XQuery dramatically.

Like Zorba used to have, before Zorba team was killed, with your personal help, Jim.

So, you know, Jim, please stop the hypocrisy and the wooden language here. I think it’s better for everyone.

I honestly don’t care, except that I feel sorry that all the (hardly acquired!) experience of XQuery is lost on the JSON guys, and they’ll see another 15 years of tribulations,
and billions of dollars wasted on the industry.

Hasta la Vista,
Dana